How to handle a lost child in Walt Disney World
This has got to be one of the most terrifying moments a parent could go through. And in a place surrounded by thousands of people, it’s quite often that a child loses their way. I am going to share some tips with you that will help keep your child safe, or know how to handle one that is missing
- Help your children identify Cast Members: Before you enter the park, stop and have a discussion with the kids in your party. Tell them that if they lose sight of you, the first thing they should do is to find a cast member and explain how to look for them. Ie: name tag, uniform.
- Pick a meeting area: During the above conversation, select a meeting area that is easy to recognize. If your child gets lost and they are old enough, when they find a cast member they can tell them I am to meet my mom at XX location and the cast member can take them there safely.
- Don’t panic. This may be a tough one but you need to think calmly and get prepared to follow all of the necessary steps and provide the necessary details and information you will need to seek help to find your child.
- Find the nearest cast member: Immediately notify the nearest cast member that your child is lost. Disney has a process in place for these situations and will put it in motion after the child is reported missing. Every ride operator & cast member will keep an eye out for the child
- Be prepared to give a description: Look back at those photos and tell the cast members exactly what your child is wearing and what they look like to help them definitively identify the child while they are also looking
- Stay in the last place you saw them: Chances are they are not very far from the last place you were together. Stay visible in the last place you saw them as they are likely close by
- Send other adults to look : if you have other adults in your party, there is no sense is staying together. Get them to go to your designated meeting spot while you wait with a cast member.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself: It can be easy to beat yourself up when something like this happens. But know that it can happen to the best of us, especially in a world full of wonder and magic. It’s easy for kids to stray and get lost in the crowd rather quickly.
If the child cannot be reunited with the parents in the immediate area, the child may be escorted to “Lost child room” which is an inviting, fun area fully stocked with Disney movies and staffed with professional care workers who do their best to help your child feel safe.
Where are the Lost Child Rooms Located?
Magic Kingdom – right next to the First Aid Center on Main Street on the left walking towards Cinderella’s Castle.
Animal Kingdom – located on the way to Africa – on the left-hand side just past Pizzafari restaurant and before the bridge.
EPCOT – located in the Odyssey Center between Test Track and the Showcase Plaza.
Hollywood Studios – located on the left as you enter the park via the main entrance.
I hope these tips will help you and your children enjoy a magical vacation.